Car Accident Attorney Serving Fayetteville & Beckley
After a car accident, things can feel like they are moving too fast. You have been injured and you have doctor’s appointments to go to. You have expenses piling up, pain to deal with, and insurance companies calling with questions you do not know how to answer or if you should even answer them at all. That is why the car accident attorneys at Hewitt & Salvatore are here for you. Having us by your side can make things calm down to a more manageable pace. We provide the dedicated legal counsel you need so that you can do what is most important, getting better.
What to Do After a Car Accident
A car accident is a jarring experience. You may be disoriented and overwhelmed, especially directly following the crash. It is important to remain as calm as possible and remember to do the following:
- Call the police: This will lead to a police report and permanent record of the event. Make sure that an accurate account of the accident ends up in the report as there can sometimes be reporting mistakes. When speaking to the police, keep your answers and descriptions brief. Avoid speculation.
- Gather evidence: Getting information at the accident scene can prove invaluable later on when trying to support your personal injury claim. Take pictures of property damage and any injuries. If there were witnesses to the crash, make sure you get their names and contact information.
- Seek medical attention: This is of paramount importance both to your physical well being and to the strength of your injury claim. Some people may feel they were not hurt enough in an accident to go get checked out by a doctor. Others may try to deal with the pain on their own. This can be a costly mistake. Many times, the pain of injury progressively gets worse after an accident. Also, if you do not seek medical treatment, there will be little to no proof of your injuries. Medical records are the evidence used to support your claim for monetary compensation. A delay or a complete failure in seeking medical treatment will be used to undermine or eliminate your claim completely.
- Call your insurance company: You have a contractual obligation to speak to your insurance company about the accident. Keep your answers short and to the point. Do not go in depth about your injuries. Your insurance company will see all of the details in your medical records when the time comes. Remember that while you must speak to your own insurance company, you are under no legal obligation to speak to the at-fault driver’s insurance company and should avoid doing so until you have consulted with a reliable personal injury attorney.
It is also a good idea to refrain from posting on social media about the accident. You may want to keep your friends and family updated about the event and your injuries but do so privately. Anything you post online can come up later as insurance companies have found ways to access this information. They will be looking for posts where you might have inadvertently admitted fault or minimized your injuries. They will also be looking at things like pictures and mentions of your everyday activities. They will use this to show that the accident has not affected your life or limited what you do on a daily basis. You never know what could come back later to undermine the value of your claim. It is always best to put social media use on hold, or at least minimize it, while your injury claim is still in process.
Compensation for Your Losses
If you have been injured in a car accident due to the negligent actions of another, you have a right to be compensated for your injuries and losses. Your covered losses include:
- Medical expenses
- Cost of future medical care
- Lost wages
- Loss of future earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
These types of damages include a wide range of expenses and things you have endured because of a car accident. You may have been forced to give up a beloved hobby as a result of your injuries. You may be seeking counseling or other therapy to help you cope with the trauma of the accident or the feelings that can come with being seriously injured. These are all damages and you have a right to be compensated for them.
Car Accident Attorney Serving Fayette County
If you have been hurt in a car accident caused by someone else’s negligence, you deserve to be compensated. The process can be complicated and difficult to deal with when you are already trying to handle so much. Contact the reliable and experienced car accident attorneys at Hewitt & Salvatore. We are here to provide you with the best in client support and legal counsel to get you the monetary compensation you are entitled to.