Fayetteville, Beckley, and all of West Virginia
What to do if you are Injured at Work
An unexpected injury sustained on the job can cause a great deal of confusion. You may not know the proper steps to take, especially if the scenario has not been addressed by your employer. Below, the West Virginia injury attorneys at Hewitt & Salvatore, PLLC offer some suggestions as to the steps you should take after a work accident.
- First, alert your supervisor that the accident occurred. If the injury is a result of an occupational disease or illness, let your supervisor know as soon as you become aware of the condition. This is a crucial step that can make all the difference in financial reimbursement for your injury.
- Ask your employer if there are designated doctors or emergency clinics you should contact and seek medical attention immediately. Even if your injury seems minor, it is wise to have physician evaluate your condition in the event that injuries surface later.
- Ask your employer if there are designated forms for workers’ compensation that you need to take with you to the doctor’s office.
- Document every step in the process from the time the injury occurred and include details on each doctor visit, the treatments you receive, and the medication or medical equipment involved.
- Talk to your coworkers or others who had knowledge of the dangerous condition. If you decide to file a lawsuit against your employer, your case could benefit from witness testimony.
- If possible, take photos of the hazard that led to your injury.
- Contact an experienced West Virginia accident lawyer about your rights. You may be entitled to additional compensation from your employer if the injury resulted from a deliberate danger that was overlooked.
For more tips on what to do when injured at the workplace, please review the
United States Department of Labor Work Injury Guide.
If you were hurt at work and are confused about next steps, talk to a trusted local injury law firm that puts the needs of its clients above all. Please contact Hewitt & Salvatore, PLLC today and we will set up a free workplace injury consultation in Beckley or Fayetteville, West Virginia. Our injury attorneys look forward to meeting with you. One call, that’s all.